Stuffed Mozzarella Meatballs
Because everything taste better with cheese! These stuffed mozzarella meatballs are amazing as appetizer or as an entree! I followed my normal meatball recipe and just added a piece of cubed mozzarella cheese. I bake my meatballs instead of the browning them in a frying pan. Baking them are better because they stay moist and brown evenly on all sides. Make sure not to overcook the meatballs because the mozzarella will ooze out. Add my homemade marinara sauce and serve over cooked pasta and enjoy!
1 lb of ground beef
1/2 lb of ground pork 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce 1 egg, beaten 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese 2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 mozzarella string cheese sticks cubed Salt and pepper to taste Sauce: 2 tablespoons of olive oil 4 cloves garlic, crushed or chopped 1 small onion, grated or finely chopped 1 (28-ounce) of whole plum tomatoes 1 (28-ounce) of pureed tomatoes 1/2 tablespoon of Italian seasoning
2 bay leaves
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
2. In a large bowl, mix ground turkey, Worcestershire, bear egg, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic, salt and pepper.
3. Take approximately 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture and roll it into a ball. Press a cube of cheese into the ball of meat, making sure that the meat completely surrounds the cheese and place on a baking sheet greased with extra-virgin olive oil. Bake balls 10 to 12 minutes.
4. Heat a deep skillet or medium pot over moderate heat. Add oil, garlic and finely chopped onion. Saute 5 to 7 minutes, until onion is tender.
5. Add puréed and plum tomatoes and Italian seasoning and bay leaves to the pot. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes until the whole tomatoes are broken down.
6. Add baked meatballs to the sauce and simmer for 10 mins
7. Serve over cooked pasta and top with grated parmsean cheese.