Cheesy Breakfast Potatoes
Updated: Aug 27, 2020
On the weekends, I live for a hearty breakfast that I can take my time to make and take my time to enjoy! During the week, there is so much hustle and bustle with getting my daughter to school and going to work that I don't have a lot of time to make a big breakfast! These cheesy breakfast potatoes are another Shirley Mae (my mom) classic recipe. Once again, you need a cast iron skillet to make this dish. The cast iron skillet really helps brown up the potatoes and the size of the skillet allows you to spread out the potatoes so most of them can get crispy. Make sure you use russet potatoes for this dish because they crisp up the best! Let me know what you think about the recipe for your next brunch or Saturday morning breakfast!
5 or 6 small to medium russet potatoes
Salt, pepper, garlic powder and creole seasoning to taste
1 whole onion sliced
Half a bag of mild cheddar cheese
Slice white potatoes into half inch circles (not too thin and not too thick)
Spread potatoes out on cutting board into a single layer (as much as possible)
Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and Tony Chachere's creole seasoning
4. Add 1/3 cup of olive oil to the pan and heat on medium heat.
5. Add potatoes and cook until most potatoes have a brown crust.
6. Add sliced onions and cook until onions are softened.
7. Once all the potatoes are cooked through, add about a half a 8oz bag of mild cheddar cheese to the potatoes. Place a top on the skillet to allow the cheese to melt on top.
8. Serve with some sausage or bacon and enjoy!