Imagine waking up Christmas morning to a plate of fried chicken and red velvet waffles! This is the perfect dish to make for Christmas morning for your family after your gift exchange. Chicken and waffles are already a dynamic duo but making red velvet waffles really takes this dish to the next level especially during the holiday season. I added a bit of Red Velvet Bailey's to the batter. You can also add some Vanilla Cinnamon Baileys to the cream cheese glaze to give this dish a little extra fa-la-la-la! In the South, we always serve our red velvet cake with some chopped pecans on top but the pecans are optional for this dish. This is the perfect take on a Southern classic sweet treat that could be served not only for breakfast but also lunch and dinner. There is never a wrong time to eat chicken and waffles. If you are looking for a dish that is festive and flavorful...sweet and savory, give this recipe a try.
Happy Holidays from Spilling the Sweet Tea!
Ingredients for Red Velvet Waffles
2 cups of flour
1/4 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1-3/4 cups of buttermilk
1/3 cup of butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoon of red food coloring
1 tablespoon of Red Velvet Bailey's (optional)
1/2 cup of pecans, chopped (optional)
Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
Ingredients of the Cream Cheese Glaze
1 cup of whipped cream cheese, softened at room temperature
4 tablespoon of butter, softened
1-1/2 cups of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 tablespoons of whole milk (more if you want the glaze thinner)
2 tablespoons of Vanilla Cinnamon Bailey's (optional)
Directions to Make Red Velvet Waffles and Cream Cheese Glaze
1. In medium bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, cocoa and salt in large bowl and set aside.
2. In another medium bowl, beat buttermilk, cooled melted butter, eggs, vanilla and vinegar together until smooth. Stir in red food coloring and Red Velvet Bailey's. Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
3. To make the cream cheese glaze, beat the whipped cream cheese and butter until smooth. Slowly add in powdered sugar, then add vanilla and milk. **To make the glaze thinner, add more milk or the Vanilla Cinnamon Bailey's. Mix until glaze is smooth. Set aside.
4. Heat waffle iron. Spray waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray and pour waffle batter onto waffle griddle. Close lid and cook until waffle is deep red and crisp on outside, about 3 minutes. Repeat until all waffles are made.
5. Serve each waffle drizzled with cream cheese glaze, whipped cream, powdered sugar and chopped pecans.
Recommended product for this recipe