I love a good appetizer especially if it involves cheese. Mozzarella sticks was one my favorite appetizer to get when I would go out to eat when I was in college. I am sure I have had every Mozzarella stick in the Hampton, VA area that was served at Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday, Darryl's and the list goes on. It is something about the crispiness of the outside and the gooeyness of the inside that I really enjoy. I always serve mine with marinara sauce but someone people like them with ranch. Mozzarella sticks are so easy to make at home and if you are a parent like me...I am sure you have some string cheese in your fridge. The great thing about this recipe is that you probably have everything you need to make it in your pantry. My recipe involves frying them in a cast iron skillet but you could certainly air fry them as well.
Ingredients to Make Mozzarella Sticks
12 pieces of string cheese( cut to the length of a mozzarella stick)
1 cup of flour
1/2 cup of milk
1 cup of Panko Breadcrumbs
1/2 cup of Italian Breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon of FlavorGod Garlic Lovers Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon of oregano
1 teaspoon of paprika
Directions to Make Mozzarella Sticks
1. Cut string cheese to desired length.
2. In a large Zip-loc bag, add flour and seasonings. Set aside.
3. In another Zip-loc bag, add Panko and Italian Breadcrumbs.
4. Whisk eggs and milk together in a separate bowl.
5. Coat each piece of cheese with flour, then dip in egg and then roll in bread crumbs. Dip in egg and crumbs two more time and then place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
6. Place in freezer for 15-20 mins before frying.
7. Heat oil in skillet and cook sticks for about a minute on each side, or until golden and before cheese starts to leak.
8. Drain on paper towels and serve with marinara sauce for dipping.