Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken
Updated: Aug 29, 2020
For the marinade
4 -6 large chicken thighs
3 scallions ( chopped)
1 teaspoon of ginger powder or fresh ginger
2 teaspoon of garlic powder
3 teaspoons of paprika
2 teaspoons of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of black pepper
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon of bouillon chicken powder
For the stew
1 medium onion, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
4 cloves garlic (minced)
3 carrots, sliced
1 large tomato (diced)
2 stalks of fresh thyme (remove the leaves)
1 teaspoon of allspice
1 tablespoon of hot sauce or a whole scotch bonnet pepper
1 tablespoons of ketchup
1 teaspoon of browning sauce
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
1 teaspoon salt or to taste
1 teaspoon of paprika
1 cup of chicken broth
1. Soak the chicken in water with 1/2 cup of lime or lemon juice for about 30 mins. Clean the chicken and remove the skin and pat dry with paper towels.
2. In a small bowl, mix the spices together with a whisk. Season the chicken with the mix of seasonings. Add the chopped scallions and fresh ginger to the bowl and massage into the chicken. Place in fridge for up to two hours or overnight.
3. Heat oil in Dutch oven or large heavy pot on medium heat. Link below for the dutch oven that I use.
4. Remove the chicken and remove the scallions and ginger (if using) from the chicken. Set aside on plate until the oil is ready.
5. Place the chicken in the pot and brown on both sides. Once the chicken has browned, remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
6. With a wooden spoon, scrape the bottom of the pot to release the brown bits from the both.
7. Add the garlic, red and green peppers, carrots and onions to the pot and saute until softened.
8. Add the diced tomatoes, browning sauce, thyme leaves and spices to the pot. Add the whole scotch bonnet pepper to the pot if using instead of hot sauce.
9. Add 1 cup of chicken stock into the pot and stir until combined. Cover the pot and let the sauce simmer on medium heat.
10. Add the chicken back to the pot. Cover and let simmer on low to medium heat for 30 to 45 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked through.
Serve with rice and beans or plantains and enjoy!
**I used this Dutch oven pot when making stews and chilis**