2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 and 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon ground of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground of nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 and 1/2 cups of milk
1/4 cup of sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Canola oil for frying
1. Heat canola oil in a large skillet. You will need to fill up your skillet half way with oil. If you have a large size deep fryer you can also use that instead. Heat your oil to 350 degrees. Use a candy thermometer to make sure you oil is at the right temperature.
2. To make your dry ingredients, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a medium size mixing bowl. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, make your wet ingredients. Whisk together milk, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix together until well combined.
5. Pour your batter in a rinsed ketchup bottle. Remove the white piece that slows down the stream in the cap in order to get batter to flow out the bottle faster.
6. Squeeze your batter into the hot oil in a circular motion and then in a zip zag motion. The goal is for the batter to overlap itself so you have perfect funnel cake.
7. Cook on one side until light golden brown on the bottom and then use tongs to flip to allow the other side to cook. Each side only needs about 1-2 mins to turn golden brown.
8. Remove your funnel cake from the oil and transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
9. Allow to cool slightly and then top with powdered sugar, whipped cream and any of your favorite toppings. Here are some great options- strawberries, chocolate chips, nutella, sprinkles or cooked cinnamon apples.
**** Video tutorial is on my YouTube page Spilling the Sweet Tea and my IG page @spilling_the_sweet_tea***