Updated: Sep 5, 2020
If you loved the Good Humor Strawberry Shortcake ice cream bar as a kid, you will love these cupcakes inspired by one of my favorite ice cream treats. The recipe includes fresh strawberries in the cake and in the icing. It takes about an hour to make from start to finish. You cut down on the cooking time on these cupcakes because you are simply doctoring a box cake. The icing for this cupcake is my favorite back because it incorporates fresh strawberries which is amazing with the whipped cream cheese. I used the Wilton Cake Decorating tool to ice my cupcakes and I love this tool because it helps me ice all my cakes and cupcake like a pro. Give this recipe a try and let me know if you are a sweet on it as I am!
Makes 24 cupcakes
Ingredients for the cake batter
1 box of white cake mix
2 boxes (3 oz each) of strawberry gelatin
1 cup of vegetable oil
½ cup of milk
¾ cup of mashed strawberries
Ingredients for the strawberry icing
8 oz of cream cheese, softened
½ cup of unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons of milk
1 lb of powdered sugar
Red food coloring
12-24 Golden Oreos (creme removed and crushed)
1.5 tablespoons of melted butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Fill cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
2. Mix cake mix, 1 box of gelatin, vegetable oil, milk, ½ cup of mashed strawberries and eggs in a large bowl.
3. Pour cake batter into cupcake lined pan. Bake cupcakes for 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove and allow them to cool completely.
4. To make frosting: In another bowl beat butter, cream cheese and ⅓ cup of mashed strawberries. Add in powdered sugar and milk gradually. Add a few drops of red food coloring to get desired shade of pink. Beat on high until frosting is smooth.
5. To make crumb topping: Mix crushed Oreos with half a box of strawberry gelatin and 1.5 tablespoons of melted butter. Frost cupcakes with spatula and dip cupcakes into crumb mixture. It's important to dip the cupcakes because the top of the cupcakes really takes on the crumb mixture. Do not sprinkle the mixture on top.
Recommended products for this recipe.