Updated: Dec 2, 2020
If you love German Chocolate cake, then you will love the pie version of this Southern sweet treat. This pie is really rich and decadent so a little piece goes a long way. It is actually a really easy recipe to make but the wait time to serve can be a bit of a pain. The pie needs at least four hours to cool before it can be served because the filling needs to set but believe me.... IT'S WORTH THE WAIT!!! I made this pie a lot for my dad and it was one of his favorites! Although he never tasted a sweet that he didn't like. This pie is always a hit at our family holiday dinners and dinner parties. I often get requests from family members to make them a pie just for them to take home. Give this recipe a try and remember to let me know how it turns out! Hopefully you are as sweet on it, as I am!
Ingredients Needed for German Chocolate Pie
1 frozen deep dish pie crust
1 4 oz package of German Chocolate baking chocolate
1/4 cup of butter
1 12 ounce can of evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups of sugar
3 tablespoons of cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup of flaked coconut
1/3 cup of chopped pecans
Directions to Make German Chocolate Pie
1. Melt baking chocolate and butter in saucepan over low heat, stirring until chocolate melts.
2. Remove from heat and gradually stir in evaporated milk and set aside.
3. Combine sugar, cornstarch, salt in large bowl; add eggs and vanilla, mixing well.
4. Gradually stir in chocolate mixture using a wire whisk.
5. Pour mixture into unbaked pie crust and sprinkle with coconut and chopped pecans.
6. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes and cool for at least 4 hours. The pie will appear soft but will firm up as it cools.
***When I make this pie, I always have left over chocolate mixture, so don't overfill your pie crust. You can use the mixture for mini pies.***