Yes, I know it is only November 1st but 2020 has been such a challenging year that I thought I would bring you some early holiday cheer. I saw these Hot Chocolate bombs on Tik Tok so I knew I had to teach my Spilling the Sweet Tea family how to make them. Hot chocolate bombs are hollow, chocolate, sphere shells that are filled with hot cocoa mix and lots of mini marshmallows. To make them festive, I added holiday sprinkles into each bomb. There are two ways I have seen people use these hot chocolate bombs. The first way is to place the bomb into an empty mug and pour hot milk over it and the second way is to drop the bomb on top of a mug filled with hot milk. Either way, the shell begins to melt away and the mini marshmallows all float to the top! You only need to give your hot chocolate a quick stir and you have a warm and cozy cup of hot cocoa! It is just that easy!
I had a blast making these with my mini me and side kick in the kitchen, my daughter Maya. She absolutely loves hot chocolate and honestly chocolate anything so she was so excited to make these with me. To make these hot chocolate bombs, you have to have a mold. I found a set of silicone molds on Amazon and I absolutely love them because they stretch which makes getting the chocolate out of the molds so easy. You need to push up on the bottom of the mold and the chocolate pops right out! The link to order them is below. I also used chocolate chips for my hot chocolate bombs simply because I already had them in my pantry. You could also use Baker's baking chocolate as well. Below are the steps to make these hot chocolate bombs. You could make them ahead of time and store them in the freezer until you are ready to use them. If you have small kids, this is such a fun activity to do with them in preparation for Santa's arrival.
Items Needed to Make Hot Chocolate Bombs
Small Offset Spatula or the back of a spoon
Baking Chocolate or Chocolate Chips
Hot Cocoa Mix
Directions to Make Hot Chocolate Bombs
1. Place silicone molds on a baking sheet.
2. Melt two cups of chocolate chips either over a double broiler or in the microwaveable bowl until smooth.
3. Add one heaping tablespoon of melted chocolate to each mold.
4. Use the back on a spoon or a small offset spatula to spread the chocolate up the sides of the molds. You want to make sure there are no bare spots. Allow the chocolate to sit for about 5-7 mins.
5. Go back over the sides again to re-coat each mold. This step will help make sure the chocolate doesn't break when you remove it from the mold. DON'T SKIP THIS STEP!
6. Once your molds have been re-coated, place entire tray into the freezer to set.
7. While your molds are setting, gather the ingredients needed to assembly the hot chocolate bombs. You will need hot cocoa mix, mini marshmallows and Christmas sprinkles or you could use crushed peppermint or caramel bits.
8. On a small saucer, add a bit of water to the plate and microwave for about 15 to 20 seconds until the water is warm. Discard the water and dry off the plate.
9. Pick up one of the chocolate spheres and place it edge side down on the hot plate so the chocolate melts a bit around the edges.
10. Fill with two tablespoons of hot cocoa mix, marshmallows and sprinkles. Using the same method, grab the other sphere and melt the edges on the plate and then press both halves together to seal them. You can use the tip of your finger to smooth the chocolate around the seam.
11. Place the bombs back in the freezer to allow them to set again. While you wait, heat some milk on the stove. Place the bomb in the bottom of a large mug and pour hot milk on top and watch the magic happen!
I hope you enjoy them as much as my family did! Happy Early Holidays!
Items Needed for this Recipe