Ingredients for Fried Okra
1 lb of fresh okra, washed/dried, tops trimmed
½ cup of flour plus ½ cup flour, divided
1 cup of buttermilk
½ cup of cornmeal
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon of black pepper
¼ teaspoon of cumin
¼ teaspoon of onion powder
¼-1/2 teaspoon of cayenne, (more for spicy, less for more mild)
Directions to Make Fried Okra
1. In a cast iron skillet, heat oil to 350 F
2. Wash and dry the okra and then cut off the tops. If making as a side dish, cut into small pieces.
3. In bowl #1, add one portion of flour and add salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.
4. In bowl #2, add buttermilk.
5. In bowl #3, mix together remaining flour and cornmeal. Whisk until combined.
6.Combine Cajun seasonings in a small bowl. Add about ¾ of seasoning to the flour/cornmeal mix.
7. Place okra in bowl with flour seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Toss well.
8. Transfer to bowl with buttermilk. Coat well.
9. Transfer to bowl with flour/cornmeal/Cajun and coat well. Tap off excess carefully.
10. Transfer okra to a plate and let rest for 10 minutes. You are looking for the outer layer to turn a bit gummy before you fry.
11. Fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
12. Remove to paper towel lined pan. Sprinkle remaining cajun seasoning on top or use a bit of flaky salt.
1/2 of cup of mayo
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
Tabasco sauce to taste (at least 6 dashes)
1/2 teaspoon of paprika
1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
Pinch of cayenne pepper for more heat
Whisk mayo, hot sauce and lemon juice until well combined.
Add seasonings and whisk until well combined.
*Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.*